May 9: In from the wind, for 1,500

10 May

Had a particularly late Saturday night putting the finishing touches on The Beautiful Heth’s Mother’s Day video, and late nights tend to mean trouble for the early morning shooting ritual. So when the alarm went off at a little past 5 Sunday morning, I quickly shut it off, rationalized that as a sound decision after hearing the roaring wind outside (“would be useless to get out there now anyway”) and gratefully went back off for another hour and a half of sleep.

It was a great day. Breakfast with Ghee-Ghee and Grampa Paul gave way to Noah’s Granite State Raiders practice, which gave way to a Mother’s Day brunch, which gave way to a mowing of the lawn during Rosie’s nap, and all the while, the wind blew like crazy. By 4:30, at which time TBH and the boys had returned from their trip to the Wright Museum, I had pretty well figured out that shooting outdoors would be useless. What to do? I got on the phone to Bill Welch, father of Pat Welch, the Raiders-schooled Pembroke varsity basketball phenom-to-be and all-around great kid.

As always, Pat  was quick to agree to join us for some rebounding, so Noah, Mason and I met the Welches at 6 at the Epsom Central School gym, where Pat and his younger brother Cam were dropped off by their dad Bill … and the four boys and I got to shooting.

Wow, was it nice to be indoors again. It had been three straight weeks of outdoor shooting — some nice days, some not so nice, some downright awful — so being on the hardwood with perfect stillness in the air was a welcomed change. The ball just tends to go a lot straighter indoors.

It wasn’t a great shooting performance, but it was good enough, so with Pat, Noah and Mason doing the bulk of the work and Cam chipping in here and there, we had two balls going and got through 1,500 in an hour and 17 minutes. Among the notable moments: Noah jammed his fingers, Mason bloodied his nose, Cam rode a little phys-ed skateboard thing into the key while we were shooting, and Pat performed a first, rebounding two balls all by himself for a couple minutes while the boys were on a break.

That’s no easy feat.

We’ll be back to the driveway later today, Monday, and then assumedly back to the morning routine by Tuesday morning. But every once in a while, it’s nice to be back where you know the ball’s going to fly straight every time.

That’s 253,507 down, 746,493 to go to 1 million made foul shots.

Thanks, boys.

For more on Hoops For Heroes, with a goal of 1 million made foul shots and $1 million raised for the Intrepid Fallen Heroes Fund, visit or contact Dave Cummings at 603-554-7855.
Leave a comment

Posted by on May 10, 2010 in Uncategorized


Tags: , , , , ,

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: